For over a year now I have written Scripture from a list a lady posts on her blog. I have talked about it before on here. I really enjoy it because sometimes I see Scripture I’ve never seen before, and sometimes I really needed to read that one that day.
Here are my 7 reasons to read the Bible:
- It is very relevant for today. Because God’s Word is active and alive, you can read a passage one day and it mean one thing to you, then read it again a few months later and it mean something else. That’s how God works. He applies what you need, when you need it.
Hebrews 4:12 tells us, “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.”
2. It is one HUGE way God speaks to us. When you are in a relationship with someone, you must communicate, and then they must communicate back. God uses the Bible to speak to us after we pray to Him.
Matthew 7:24, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.”
This is Jesus speaking, and He is the Word. John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
3. There are many lessons to learn. In the Old Testament, we see all that the Israelites went through. There are many lessons we can learn from them. Proverbs is full of wisdom nuggets to help you through life. We can see the things people went through and learn not to make their same mistakes. His Word guides us and helps us.
2 Timothy 3:16-17, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Psalm 119:105, “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.”
Luke 11:28, “He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”
4. You can get to know God. Many Scriptures tell us about God and what He is like. Then, in the New Testament, we see Jesus on earth and how He lived. Jesus only did and said what God told him to. He is our example of how to walk through life, how to treat people, how to forgive, and how to love.
Psalm 145:8, “The LORD is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.”
Jesus speaking in John 5:30, “I can do nothing on My own initiative As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.”
5. There are promises from God to proclaim. I am a firm believer that if God did something for someone else, He will do it for me too. I know a good bit of the Old Testament was a covenant between God and His chosen people, but I believe with all of my heart that I can proclaim some of those Scriptures and God will do uphold those promises for me. God never changes. Therefore, I choose to proclaim His promises over my loved ones.
Psalm 18:30, “As for God, His way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in him.”
Jesus said this in John 7:38, at that time they only had the Old Testament, “Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”
6. You can know who you are in Christ. There are many Scriptures that tell us who we are after we give our life to God. If you don’t know who you are, seek those out.
Ephesians 2:10, “ For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things He planned for us long ago.”
7.. Scripture is what you use to battle the enemy of our souls. When Jesus was being tempted by Satan after He was baptized, how did He fight? With Scripture! If you don’t know Scripture, you can’t fight him off.
Matthew 4:4, “Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
I hope this encourages you to read your Bible more. I don’t read mine like a book, but I write my Scriptures, and apply some to my life. One of my friends and I are going through Scriptures about trusting God and doing the SOAP method on whatever really touches our hearts each day. I enjoy doing that.
Let me know what you think!
God bless you today and always.