We are made up of 3 parts, body, soul, and spirit. Our body is self explanatory, our soul is your emotions and will, your spirit is what will live forever.
When we give our life to Christ, the Holy Spirit comes to live in us. But first, let’s see what Jesus said about the Holy Spirit. “The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and make you remember all that I have told you.” (John 14:26)
So, Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to teach us everything and make us remember what He has told us.
Because we have free will, we are still going to sin. However, like I have talked about before, that doesn’t make you a sinNER anymore. It also does not give you free reign to think you can go around sinning the rest of your life and still get into Heaven.
The thing about it is, if you surrender your life AND your will to Christ, you will not want to sin anymore. You will want to be different. Living by the Spirit is what helps us.
I made this list from Colossians 3. I was reading it the other day and decided to study it, meditate on it, and make a list of how to live by the Holy Spirit.
- Keep your sights on Heaven. verse 1
- Think of Heavenly things-not earthly things. verse 2
- Real life is in Christ, you’ve died to your old life. verse3
- When Christ is revealed, you share in His GLORY. verse 4
- Put to death sinful things – sexual immorality, impurity, lust & evil desires – don’t be greedy either! verse 5
- Get rid of anger, rage, malicious behavior, slander, & dirty language verse 8
- DO NOT LIE! verse 9 (Sorry, big pet peeve of mine. LOL)
- Use your new nature to be renewed as you learn to know your Creator & become like Him. verse 10
- Race/ skin color doesn’t matter- all that matters is that Christ is in you. He lives in us. verse 11
- Clothe yourself in tender hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, & patience. verse 12
- Forgive people’s faults & always forgive. verse 13
- Clothe yourself in love too! verse 14
- Let Christ’s peace rule your heart, and always be thankful. verse 15
- Let Christ’s rich message fill your life. Teach & counsel each other in wisdom. Sing worship songs with thankful hearts. verse 16
- WHATEVER you do, realize that you REPRESENT Jesus! verse 17
Please know that I am not trying to guilt anyone here. Nor am I trying to make it seem like you have to be perfect to get to Heaven.
I believe that God wants us to live like this because it is good for us. He already knows we aren’t perfect. He knows we will sin and make mistakes daily, but He wants us to yield to the Holy Spirit and allow Him to transform our lives.
Part of why I decided to write this is because in our day and age, with social media, we are NOT representing Jesus like we should. Having access, literally, to the entire world should be a positive thing. We should be using it to tell people about Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection.
We don’t. We fight with people. We argue over stupid stuff. And we judge people.
Do you read in these 15 things anywhere that we are to judge or fight with others?
I pray that you will take this list and meditate on it yourself. You don’t have to be perfect. But if you try and live like this, you will change and the people around you will notice.
God bless you today and always!